As the warmer months set in, it’s time for spring cleaning; Out with the old and in with the new!
Yet, spring cleaning isn’t just about scrubbing the interior of your home or getting rid of items and clothing you no longer need. It’s also about tuning into your health and taking action when needed.
While the body is quite capable of detoxifying all on its own, sometimes, it needs a little help. This spring offers a unique opportunity for you to detoxify your external surroundings, as well as detoxify your internal functions. In this article, we’re going to outline what detoxification is exactly, tips for following a spring detoxification regime, and much more!
What is Detoxification?
In the simplest terms, detoxification involves removing and eliminating toxins and excess hormones. And your body is quite good at this!
The liver, kidneys, bowels, and bladder work to process and eliminate entities that the body no longer needs. In a healthy body, this function tends to work smoothly. However, if you’ve been feeling tired or sluggish lately, this might signal that your body needs a little help.
Why Spring is a Good Time for Detoxification
Spring is all about regeneration and growth, making it the perfect season to detox. During this time, we emerge from the winter months where we may have spent more time sedentary and mostly indoors. Spring is like a fresh start and a brand new chapter. So, why not make this chapter your best one yet?
Tips for Spring Detoxification
When you read up about detoxification, you’ll find all kinds of extreme protocols. Yet, detoxification doesn’t need to be extreme or overly complex. With that in mind, here are a few tips to help you get your spring detoxification started:
- Drink more water and stay hydrated (this is particularly important with the warmer weather!). Most men need about 3.7 liters of water each day. Meanwhile, the average woman needs about 2.7 liters of water every day.
- Eliminate processed and pre-packaged food items. These contain tons of chemicals your body doesn’t need.
- Stick to whole foods and high fiber options. Whole foods contain an array of nutrients, without any extras. Additionally, high fiber foods, such as beans, berries, broccoli, and more, help eliminate toxins from the body by creating bulk in the stool and keeping everything moving. For each meal, aim to incorporate about one cup of veggies, adding up to about three cups of veggies per day.
- Get 7-9 hours of sleep per night. Your body requires this for adequate rejuvenation and restoration.
- Sweat daily! Exercise or try sauna therapy. Sweating helps your body rid itself of heavy metals. In fact, one study showed how regular exercisers actually had lower levels of heavy metals than those who didn’t regularly exercise. Most people should move their bodies for at least 20 to 30 minutes each day. For sauna therapy, it’s recommended to start with less and gradually increase (This means starting with about five minutes, if you’re a beginner, and gradually increasing that time up to at least 15-20 minutes).
What to Expect From Detoxification?
At the end of the day, a proper detox is all about revamping your lifestyle to support your body and your health in the best way possible. In some cases, you might feel temporarily worse until you get better. This is an adjustment period. If your body has primarily been using processed foods for energy all winter, switching to whole foods will require a few adaptations.
However, through spring detoxification, you should gain greater energy, an improved mood, an increased sense of well-being, and more!
Supplements for Detoxification
Before, during, and after detoxification, supplements can help your body pick up the slack. During detoxification, you might find using supplements to support your liver and gut, such as Life Nutrition’s Liver Detox and Advanced Probiotics, can enhance this process.
Afterward, you might benefit from Life Nutrition's Deep Sea Fish Oil for improved brain and heart health, as well as Women’s Everday Complete or Men’s Everyday Complete to ensure you obtain adequate nutrients each day.
Basically, the goal of detoxification is to set your body on the right course toward optimal nutrition absorption, as well as improved health and wellness.